Sunday, June 29, 2008

Weezie who?!

Grammy and Papa left earlier today. They were here this weekend to spend time with Louise and to give Mike and I some much needed "big people" time together.

Mike and I have also planned a trip in late September to California where we will spend (gasp!) 4 nights away from Louise. So, this was also a first practice run for Grammy, Papa, and Louise to have some time together without us.


It was great for all of us. Mike and I got out to Max Patch. Hmmm... how to describe Max Patch: it's a big bald, right in the middle of gorgeous mountains. 360 degree views, wildflowers, steady breeze, beautiful skies, right along the Appalachian Trail. We didn't bother bringing a camera, but I'll find some on the web and post them here. We hadn't been to Max Patch since before LJ was born. It's just too far of a drive to be leisurely when a toddler is involved.

After Max Patch, we piddled around in Hot Springs where there was some huge motorcycle rally going on. Lots of loud Hogs going up and down the main drag.

Afterwards, we headed to downtown Asheville for great food, drinks, and people watching. Actually, the people watching in Hot Springs was pretty entertaining. They're just different folks up there in Madison County, I suppose. But that's another story.


Here's a view from Max Patch. The photo doesn't come close to touching the Max Patch experience.





Here's a rock that Mike and I lounged on until the wind got so strong it made my eyes teary. Somehow, it was really comfy, though it doesn't look like it.




What you can't see in the photos:


  • the wildflowers; my favorite here were the tiny, wild, yellow snapdragons

  • noisy crickets everywhere

  • darting sparrows

  • knee high grasses bending over in the wind

  • oh, the wind! maybe 30-40 miles per hour. It kept things cool

  • bright blue skies with great big white clouds in every shape moving across the sky

  • the freedom to experience time passing without planning around snack, lunch and naptime
Thank you Papa and Grammy!!



Bonus Photo: Not-So-Lovely Downtown Hot Springs, NC; minus the motorcycles

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Your family is very lucky to be able to have alone time with Louise, I am sure they had a blast.