Sunday, June 8, 2008

Link to Cicada FAQs

The cicadas have been a real treat for us. Louise is at the perfect age to begin to appreciate them.
We're so lucky to have so many of them to entertain us. All I have to do is say "Go find a Cicada" and she finds one in about 20 seconds and spends a lot of time checking it out, poking it, or if it's just a shell, wearing it (or them) on her clothes.
When she finds a live on, she says "Skin, skin, skin" asking me to pick it up and let it crawl on her skin. But as soon as the cicada flaps it's wings, she's freaked out by the sound and she gets jumpy.
Anyway, Mike and I keep asking each other about these things, and it's clear we don't have a clue and have been told all of the wrong information about them. Like for instance, we thought the was only one kind of 17 year cicada brood, and we thought that some came back every 7 years, and that some pop up every year.
So, here's a great link with answers to your many questions about cicadas: http://www.cicadamania.com/faq.html

1 comment:

KP said...

fascinating. I read the FAQs and the "are they coming to my town?" link. Clearly, this years brood is not coming as far east as Chatham County. I hope you enjoy them and thanks for the info.

btw, keep feeding that kid bacon! It's O'B and Carlito's favorite meat.