Tuesday, September 23, 2008

Looking for gas in all the wrong places



Yep, I did it. I had to. I sat in line today at the gas station for an hour and a half and filled up.

The situation here has gotten worse than it was yesterday (see post below.) There are so few stations with gas around here that they've started posting on the local newspaper website where gas can actually be found. Then of course, there are the traffic jams and waiting in line. Some folks got surly last night and broke out into a physical fight right there at the station. Police were called in. Is it 1973?

Anyway, I hear that it's because of delays from the storms in TX and because we have a higher than average number of locally owned gas stations. These locally owned stations (even though they are Exxons, Shells, Enmarks, etc.)are apparently lower on the supply chain than the corporate owned stations. At least that's the word around town. A newspaper article I read blamed it on the fact the we are farther from the Colonial Pipeline than some other destinations, with the added disadvantage of having lower population density.

What ever the cause, do you think we'll take a clue from this and maybe diversify our fuel sources and modes of transportation?
My hunch is that soon all of the staions will be back in business and WNC residents will go back to guzzling gas as usual.

And of course, I'll still be driving my SUV because who is buying those anymore?!

No comments: