Monday, March 2, 2009

Stuck here with sniffling Weezie

OK, so today was the day that I was supposed to start my new job.
Louise was sick yesterday so Mike was going to stay home with her today while she recuperated. Good thing. Playschool was closed anyway due to weather.
It snowed like heck here yesterday. Check out the photo from our dirty kitchen window.
That was taken as the snow was just staring to come down heavily. And then it came down heavily for many hours more.
Anyway, I started the car this morning after sweeping off as much snow as possible with a broom. Then I scraped the windows with the only scraper I could lay my hands on. It was a mini-scraper the size of my hand, though a much heavier-duty one was called for. The car warmed up; I packed my lunch; and I was off. Except that the road was covered in ice and I could barely make it out of the driveway. I didn’t come close to making it up the hill and out of our neighborhood. Mike had to come outside and push the car just to help me get it back in the driveway. Getting it all of the way back in the driveway was impossible. Here is as far as we got it.
That was around 9am. By 11:00, the ice on our street melted, but my new manager said that I shouldn’t worry about trying to make it in today, that we would start from scratch tomorrow.
Ugh. I’m not good with transition, so I just want to get this first week of work/playschool over with.
Better luck tomorrow, I hope.
By the way, Louise’s cold is getting better. Less snot/sneezing/coughing today. More energy. Hope for a healthy kid tomorrow.

1 comment:

teg said...

don't feel bad. I think I have the crown-crazy story for new job day wrenches. I was living with my ex-boss, yet due for a new job. Minus MANY details, I was responsible for burying my roommate's cat - a cat she'd had for more than 12 years, who was killed the night before my first day of said new job. This cat, named Trouble, was like a husband to my aforementioned roommate. As you might imagine, I was more than 2.5 hours late for my first day on the job. New job personnel were thankfully and fabulously understanding!