Wednesday, May 12, 2010

Joy


Here's the story behind the photo: it's one afternoon a couple of weeks before Mother's Day. We're out playing in the yard. I realize that I need to order Mother's Day cards ASAP. I need a pretty picture of Louise. I spy the gorgeous Azalea in full bloom and recognize a photo opportunity.
I ask Louise if she'll pose for a photo for the grand-mamas in her life. She agrees. I look her over; she is filthy and grubby looking. I ask her nicely if she'd please change into something more clean and attractive. Yeah, what ever. I plead to pull her hair back in anything- a pony tail, pig tails, headband, barrettes. When Hell freezes over. Bribery doesn't work. Threats = nada.
Before loosing her cooperation completely, I resign to grubbiness and somehow I get her to stand practically inside the azalea bush. But, I realize that the angle of the sun makes it impossible to get a picture without her being half blinded by the sun and half in shadow.
So, she's grubby and my picture stinks, with the exception of this great full-body expression of hers. It's pure joy. And it's beautiful to me.

3 comments:

Grammy said...

Thanks for your efforts. Ma and I love our cards!

Gma Glo said...

What a great story and card! Please tell her it's the best photo ever! I carry it in my purse & show it to all my friends! Now I'm going to print a copy for my desk so I can glance at her many times during the day. Love, Busia

Meredith Sause said...

I think it is an incredible photograph!