Thursday, January 22, 2009

Musical Influences

I started taking a banjo class last week. I know, I tried learning a few years back and gave up, only to leave my banjo collecting dust in a closet. But this time is for real! I'm in a class of about 15 folks, some learning old time style like me, and some learning Bluegrass. It's been fun and I can already play Bile 'Em Cabbage Down. For non-Appalachians, that translates to Boil Those Cabbages Down. The song's a real classic. Here's an old photo of my teacher, Wayne Erbsen: I've always wanted to play music and it's great to have something to do around the house besides cook and clean that is just for me. I also get to pull out all of those old banjo recordings I have hidden in my CD collection that have been neglected for a long time. I'm glad that Louise gets to grow up around live music and the music of her southern hillbilly roots.

Michiganders fear not! Mike is making sure that she doesn't get to steeped in old timey Appalachian culture. He has been making sure that she has lots of other influences, like AC/DC! She's been singing Thunderstruck for weeks, even thought she just heard the song for the first time yesterday. So, here's to Louise's latest favorite band, AC/DC!

3 comments:

M Fox said...

Shelly - I had no idea about the banjo! Oh, yes I love the mix of southern mountain music and AC/DC...now that could get interesting!

teg said...

So where's the video?! :)

Grammy said...

I don't understand why Weezie needs to know about electricity so soon. AC, DC,amps, volts, etc. She has plenty of time for that. Now about the banjo, way to go girl! I also picked Bile 'Em Cabbage Down for my first tune. Guess I am going to have to dust off the old 5 string for your next visit. By the way, when will that be?

Papa