Saturday, March 19, 2011

A Poem for Coyote

This poem came to me at 4:30AM after taking the pup outside to do her biz-ness. I was the second night in a row the coyotes were making a ruckus nearby. Against better judgement, I always let the cats out then so that they don't bother me at 5:30 when I'm trying to get just a little bit more shut eye before starting the day. Anyway, here's what I remember of the poem.

You are out there and I know it.
You are wild and I am glad, but
To be wild is to be hungry.
To win is to survive, is to kill.
Your pack is a team
Of worthy hunters.
Your calls thrill and chill me.
I root for you, but not in my backyard.
In the morning I wake and count two cats at the door.
I am relieved, you did not score at my house last night.

1 comment:

mikea102 said...

Nicely done, honey. I love it.